1. Name/Alias: Sigourney Salley / Signature Style
2.Where are you from/ Where do you currently live?: I grew up in between Harlem and Brooklyn, New York. I currently live in the East New York section of Brooklyn, New York.
3. Where did/do you go to school and your major?: I graduated from the Fashion Institute of Technology (located on 7th and 27th street) last May with a dual degree in Advertising and Marketing/Fashion Merchandising Management. I do plan on going back for my certification in Wardrobe Styling next year :).
4. What is your Grind? I consider myself a Renaissance woman with many hustles under my belt that all lead to my personal ideology of what success is.
- TRACE MAGAZINE: Since my Sophomore year of F.I.T. I have been with this transcultural magazine. I started as the Special Events personal assistant – throughout my first two years with TRACE, I was taught how to properly plan and execute a successful industry special event. Some highlights are planning the annually popular Black Girls Rules; Product Launches (Rimmel Underground); and planning events for Issue Covers which included Iman, Kelis, Keri Hilson, Mya, and Spike Lee to name a few. Presently I continue to be their Marketing Coordinator and the Online Trace Magazine supplement in the version of a blog Editor in which I manage bloggers, interview extraordinary individuals, set up photo shoots and try my best to update daily with such a hectic schedule.
- WARDROBE STYLIST: Under my upcoming Styling House – Signature Style – I set up interesting fashion-forward photo shoots with some minimal personal styling for specific clients. I have worked personally with Nikki Ntu (DJ Melo X’s artist) for her now released mix tape and was recently published in the UK’s Anatitude Magazine (Photography: King Texas).
- JEWELRY DESIGNER: When you deal in artistry you are always drawn to specific items that make a person stand out. I have recently started a small jewelry line Sequins, Pearls & Cigarettes – that I am completely excited about. It is still in the beginning stages so I don’t want to say too much yet!
5. How did you get into what you’re doing now?: All three of my hustles are important to me and make me who I am as a person. I feel that as I grew into who I am at this point in my life; each one presented a new challenge to me. I don’t believe that anything is impossible unless you stop yourself from accomplishing something. My main focus is Wardrobe Styling – it has been a love of mine for a long time. It is the essence of curating a look with every intimate detail that keeps me striving to be one of the best. I was introduced to it from helping on a set at the magazine – ever since then its’ been a part of my life!
6. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?: A Lawyer because I always had to give my opinion to every situation.
7. What are some contributing factors that shaped the life you live now?: Living in Public Housing (which made me want to be the opposite of my environment); Mentoring Programs – Team Revolution + Hip Hop Project (where I learned to not be scared of my potential and to enjoy being a creative being); My Mother and Grandmother (for always supporting me); Amazing Friends (for encouragement-creativity sessions) + Fearlessness (mostly not being scared of failure – without failure there is no growth)!
8. Any specific people that mentored or helped guide you to your current path?: Divine Bradley (Team Revolution) taught me a major lesson “The best way to predict the future is to create it“. I live by this mantra and know that without me striving — I will never accomplish.
9. What motivates you?: Fashion motivates me. It is ever changing and with that I have to be quick on my toes to know the Yes and No within this industry when it comes to clothing, brands, it, length, colors, etc. It is hard core but I can handle it.
10. Your favorite author and why?: Anna Wintour – she’s the face of Vogue and an inspiration to strict discipline with your craft.
11. What are 3 goals you want to achieve within the next year?:
- Being published in another major / indie fashion magazine with my Styling Credentials.
- Travel to a country – either Africa or the UK.
- Finding a booking agent to assist in my career as a Stylist.
12. One person that continuously inspires you and why?: My core group of friends inspire me – without them I wouldn’t have the motivation to keep it pushing.
13. 3 Indie brands you LOVE to rock?:
- Princess Of The Posse (P.O.P.)
- GoodWood NYC
- Melody Ehsani
14. What annoys you the most?: Individuals who are scared to be themselves and hold their endless potential back.
15. Your best quality?: A tie between Time-Management / Over The Top Creativity
Visit Signature Style to see more of Sigourney’s work!