1. Name/Alias: Sarah White aka Sarah White Black, The Black Sarah White or Artisticbling (for photos)
2.Where are you from/ Where do you currently live?: I was born and raised in the lovely city of Minneapolis, but reborn in Brooklyn, where I currently lay my head.
3. Where did/do you go to school and your major?: I stu
died Ceramics, Printmaking, Humanities and World Religions at a Community College in Minneapolis.. I’ve always been all over the place : ) I feel like I have learned most of my trades through the school of life. I learn thru living. I always practice/study to get additional skills thru internships, yoga schools, collaborations etc but I’ve been thinking about going back to get a degree in something soon. I just think it would be nice to have..
4. What is your Grind? Wow.. Well, I am a mother to a lovely 5 year old (Iza), a singer/emcee who dabbles in production, photographer (events, portraits, street, collage), writer ( I have a blog with artist and tastemaker Lichiban, called Wronglips, I have written also for Trace Magazine, Urb, and many other print/publications), and occasionally I work in fashion doing stylist work/personal shopping/casting. I currently work at a tiny organic italian spot in Noho, work-study @ Jivamukti Yoga and Im grinding hard on trying to make this music and spread my light/love into the world.
5. How did you get into what you’re doing now?: I landed here. Fate/Faith has pushed me onto my path.
6. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?: Lol! I wanted to be an Obstretrician! I wanted to be like Bill Cosby on the Cosby Show. The babies just seemed to POP out with ease… Next I wanted to be in fashion, doing production, etc.. Now, I just want to be a kid again.
7. What are some contributing factors that shaped the life you live now?: Always having people around the believe in me (even when Im having a moment of doubt). I feel like whatever choices I have made, even the shitty ones, I have always had great support from my real friends and family.
8. Any specific people that mentored or helped guide you to your current path?: My Mom and Papi. Always made me feel that I was gifted and could do anything. Zach in Minneap taught me to transform my poems into raps, which began to push my musically journey. My man, Rico. Makes me feel like a Queen and always believes in me.
9. What motivates you?: My daughter and the love that was created to create her. Each day since has kept me on my grind and full of love.
10. Your favorite author and why?: It changes by the week, but I fall somewhere in between Paulo Coelho, who opens me up to mind-travel and worlds beyond.. and Mama Gena (Regena Thomashauer) who teaches me about using my “P” power!
11. What are 3 goals you want to achieve within the next year?:
1. Get all my music out
2. Get yoga teacher certified
3. Travel, travel, travel!!
12. One person that continuously inspires you and why?: My brother. He always gives, even when he has nothing left to give.
13. 3 Indie brands you LOVE to rock?: IF I had money, I would rock things by Camille Peace (Peace Images), Rabbit on the Run, Princess of the Posse (Lichiban just got me into them), 21MC, GoodWood, Melissa Shoes (Recyled plastic, but so hot), GAS’D (Sorry cant name 3..)
14. What annoys you the most?: Money. I repel it.
15. Your best quality?: My fiance says: I lift spirits. I like that.
To learn more about Sarah’s Music & Photography visit HERE & HERE