2.Where are you from/ Where do you currently live?:
I am originally from South Carolina, but I live in Los Angeles.
3. Where did/do you go to school and your major?:
I graduated from the real USC (Univ. of South Carolina….go cocks) with a BA in Broadcast Journalism.
4. What is your Grind?:
I am a model. I have agents, but I still market myself. I basically pimp myself =) . I write my blog Model Liberation to get the word out about me, and to just let people know what I go through.
5. How did you get into what you’re doing now?:
I had always wanted to model, and I love to write. God just helped me put it all together.
6. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?:
I wanted to be a dancer, but then I realized that I wasn’t so flexible. Then I wanted to be a lawyer (so I could be a politician), until I realized they have bad reputations. Then I wanted to model, but I figured being a journalist would be more practical.
7. What are some contributing factors that shaped the life you live now?:
I got involved with the NAACP, and I met Rosa Parks when I was really young. I wanted to be that fire starter, just like her. I knew that I had a voice, I just had to find that audience who’d want to hear what I had to say. I also realized that I was different… I looked different. In order to defend my uniqueness, I had to speak up.
8. Any specific people that mentored or helped guide you to your current path?:
My entire family. My grandmother and my mom taught me strength and tenacity, but also showed me the importance of being humble. My step dad taught me to speak up. My friends’ parents who were also black politicians showed me the importance of working the system. And my dad encouraged me to dream.
9. What motivates you?:
10. Your favorite author and why?:
I have always loved Langston Hughes. His humor and sensibility paired with the melody of his words… it makes my spirit dance.
11. What are 3 goals you want to achieve within the next year?:
I hope to give back to others through charity. I’d love to start something of my own for young girls who feel they don’t have anyone who believes in them. I would like to travel more and get inspiration from different people. And I really want to get married.
12. One person that continuously inspires you and why?:
I don’t know if I can narrow it down to one person. I am inspired by the most important people in my life from my family to my boyfriend. I was recently inspired by an old high school classmate who keeps kickin’ cancer’s butt! She keeps going and doesn’t give up.
13. 3 Indie brands you LOVE to rock?:
Candice Held, Melody Ehsani, Alternative Apparel. They’ve supported me, so I support them. It’s all love.
14. What annoys you the most?:
Impatience, although I’m guilty of it myself.
15. Your best quality?: I don’t know. You’ll have to ask someone who really knows me. Hopefully that person will say something good.